A public meeting was called in March 1922, and attended by about forty (40) residents. The meeting, chaired by Dr. Thomas Brayshaw, showed the necessity of protecting the homes and occupants from the ever present danger of fire in the community. The meeting resulted in the formation of the Glen Burnie Volunteer Fire Company No. 1.
The first piece of rolling equipment was built by the members of the fire company. It was a 1-1/2 ton Federal Speed Chassis with a hose bed, a ladder rack and a 100 gallon booster tank connected to a 100 g.p.m. chain driven Blackmer passive pump, along with ladders, 1000 ft. of 2-1/2 inch hose, axes, etc. This was ready in 1922. The new apparatus was housed in the local blacksmith shop.
In 1925 the Glen Burnie Improvement Association (GBIA) erected a fire station, a 30′ by 50′ brick and frame building.
In 1927 a new 750 gallon pumper engine was presented to the fire company by GBIA.
In November 1937 the Glen Burnie Volunteer Fire Department joined the Anne Arundel Volunteer Firefighters Association and at a later date joined the Maryland State Firemen’s Association.
In 1967 the fire company built a new station, this station now houses modern, state of the art equipment.
The Glen Burnie Volunteer Fire Department has progressed over the years through dedication to training, diligence in fundraising to be able to purchase modern equipment, and the tireless efforts of our wonderful volunteers to always be the Finest of the First.